I love Kerala dishes. This is one of the simple side dish for rice with coconut flavor. Onam sadya menu is not complete without cabbage thoran. This thoran can be done with any vegetables. I have already posted cabbage peas stir fry, it is different version as well as different taste. Try this thoran, you will love cabbage in this way.
- Cabbage - 1 cup, finely chopped
- Shallots - 5, finely chopped
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilly - 1
- Red chilly - 1
- Curry leaves - 5
- Asafoetida/hing - a pinch
In a mixing bowl, combine cabbage, shallots, turmeric powder, salt and 2 tbsp of grated coconut. Give a nice stir keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Heat a pan with a tbsp of oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
Add urad dal, green chilly, red chilly, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add the cabbage and mix well. Cover with the lid and cook till cabbage is tender. Add 3 tbsp of grated coconut. Stir well.
Switch it off. Serve as a side for rice.
- Allowing cabbage, onion and salt to rest, leaves water. Do not throw away. While adding cabbage transfer with water. This water is enough for cooking cabbage.
- After covering with a lid, do check often to avoid burning. If need add 2 to 3 tbsp of water.
- Coconut can be combined in cabbage itself. I don't want to cook coconut more, so saved half and added later.
- Coconut oil can be used for extra flavor.